Pilates teacher recommendations
Pilates teacher recommendations for studio clients.
The first lesson in any kind of activity is always exciting. Teachers usually know where they will start with any client. They are taught this, they have experience, understandable techniques and guidelines. But where to start the client? What will be the results? Here a lot depends on the client. From his ability to allow himself to learn.
Coming to a lesson, for example, on the piano, any sane person understands that in an hour learning how to freely use the instrument will fail. And if the practitioner is interested in the result, then he will have to start with something completely different from what he dreams of, imagining himself in a beautiful room, sitting at the piano. You will have to start from scratch, regardless of age, life experience, state of health, and ability to play, for example, cello. At the very least, the keyboard of an unfamiliar instrument will have to be mastered from scratch!
For some reason, this logic does not always work when a person regularly engaged in fitness, tennis, aerobics, swimming, etc. comes to the Pilates gym? Often, teachers have to hear: I don’t feel anything; little load; why should I move my toes; and this is normal if it doesn’t hurt me; I don’t pump up the “ass”; I will tolerate, can I have more springs, etc.?
All these are questions that speak of inexperience in Pilates and a few false expectations. I will give a short list of recommendations that will help to avoid disappointments and resistance on the way to the earliest possible receipt of the results promised by the method.
1. Before you go to class, ask yourself: why do you need this? If you couldn’t give yourself an answer, then you should go to class if only because this thought has visited you. It will definitely come in handy for you! The method has almost everything you can wish for a healthy and happy life.
2. Trust! Be open. No Pilates teacher wants you anything bad. None of us feel sorry for “giving you more work,” “for starting with that beautiful photo on Instagram.” We studied for a long time, worked hard, but most importantly – we adore our profession! Give your teacher the opportunity to start from the beginning in order to lead you to the desired as quickly as possible. Joe Pilates used to say the famous phrase: “Rome was not built in one day.”
Nevertheless, to give an approximate guideline when and what changes should happen to you as a result of efforts, I will give another quote from Joe: “After 10 lessons you will feel the difference, after 20 lessons you will see the difference, and after 30 – you will be on the way to completely to a new body. ” Thus, it is quite normal that changes tangible physically appear after two weeks, a month. Someone earlier, someone later. Tune in to the fact that this may happen to you later. Then the “insight” on the first day will be another gift of fate!
It’s easier if something hurts. Then the landmark is very bright. It becomes less painful almost immediately. Well, if you are not sick, but just want to take care of yourself with the help of movement? Then let the body learn. It’s worth it.
3. Talk about your feelings! Oh sure. You filled out a health questionnaire before class began. But please, do not forget to inform your teacher about your feelings. This will help him understand how to work with you. And even more importantly, it will help you understand why you are doing all this.
4. Be persistent! Promise yourself to go out at least 5-10, and preferably 15 lessons before you abandon the venture. The Pilates method is different from sports. Here achievement is considered to be the ability to hear the needs of your body and respect its nature. At first, it is surprising that all these complex and elegant exercises are not done just to be able to do them. And even more surprisingly, the implementation of the “external form”, simply copying the movement, unfortunately, does not make this movement Pilates. In each exercise, a lot of processes are hidden that your body needs and enjoys. But everything has its time. A large building is built from small bricks. Just understand that in addition to “overcome yourself” and “achieve a beautiful body, no matter what it is,” there are other settings. You have already found a method that will help you live without pain, respect your nature and build a beautiful body, while enjoying the movement! Yes I know! It is difficult to abandon the stereotype of “no pain, no gain”. But give yourself a chance. You will definitely like it and definitely succeed!
5. Do not rush things! Yes! Exactly! The first lessons are little understood. It is not clear how all this is now connected with what Lena Perminova does on her Instagram account or Jean-Claude Nelson (a very spectacular practitioner of the method whose name is familiar to almost all Pilates teachers precisely thanks to his video clips).
Do not worry! They just started earlier. You will be surprised how quickly simple things grow in your body those same spectacular elements that attract at first sight. Enjoy the simplicity of form now that you have just begun.